The School of Media and Mass Communication (SMC) at the Beaconhouse National University (BNU) is dedicated to the proposition that knowledge, creativity and skills are vital for the development of modern democratic societies in this era of globalization. The SMC attempts to establish a centre of excellence focused upon knowledge, creativity, research, service and professional skills in the field of media and mass communication.
The new educational concern with media appears to be born of a convergence of ideas and technologies, with new media at the forefront. The range of alternative and overlapping sources of information and entertainment, instruction and art is more extensive than ever before. This communication revolution brought about by new technologies and changing social and leisure patterns takes on an added force in education. Mass communication shape’s public opinion, interprets culture and its values that bind the society together and transmit information and knowledge in nurturing a free society. The SMC, through an interdisciplinary approach, aims to:
- Impart diverse knowledge and ideas that enable students to fulfill their responsibilities in a democratic and pluralistic society within a global village;
- Prepare professionals in the field of media and mass communication who are able to exercise their freedom with a conscious awareness of the constitutional rights of citizens;
- Equip students with the required tools and skills to cope with the innovations taking place in international media and prepare them for the challenges thrown up by the information age.
At the SMC, students are trained to become:
- Critical and creative thinkers;
- Ethical professionals accountable for their performance;
- Skilled professionals who can use print, electronic, new media and other forms of communication with equal ease;
- Media-persons who work towards enlightenment and moderation.
- Students are assessed through a series of seminars, assignments and individual research projects.
Program of Theatre, Film and Television (TFT)
One of the major highlights of SMC is its Program of Theatre, Film and Television (TFT). Through this program, BNU has provided a platform to those talented individuals who aspire to make their mark in mainstream TV production, Theatre and Film as writers, directors, producers, actors and technicians.
Our Missions and Goals
Mass communication and journalism play a pivotal role in the development of a state. As instruments of public opinion, media interpret culture, its values that bind the society together and transmit information and knowledge that contribute to the development of a free society. Given this role of media, the School of Media and Mass Communication aims to:
- Disseminate information and ideas that enable students to fulfill their responsibilities in a democratic, pluralistic society
- Prepare professionals in the field of media and mass communication who are able to exercise their freedom with a conscious awareness of the constitutional rights of citizens as enshrined in the Constitution of Pakistan and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
- Equip students with the required tools and skills to cope with the innovations taking place in international media and prepare them for the challenges thrown up by the information age
Why Choose School of Media and Mass Communication?
There is a great demand of trained journalists in the media industry of Pakistan. The boom of private television channels in the first decade of 2000’s created a rather unusual scenario for us where issues such as lack of journalistic ethics, abundance of untrained and unskilled journalists, and dearth of production related professionals became a matter of concern for everyone. The School of Media and Mass Communication (SMC) at Beaconhouse National University is trying to address these issues by providing proper training to the students of journalism and by producing skilled writers and technicians in the fields of theatre, film and television.
SMC features top notch facilities for students. There is a high-end production unit that contains all necessary equipment for training students in television production, ad, documentary and film making. With its custom-designed studios, labs, and other related educational facilities, SMC stands as one of the most equipped media education institute in Pakistan.
One of the key attractions of School of Media and Mass Communication is its faculty that includes renowned professionals from the world of journalism, Television and films.
SMC Social Media Handles
Official Instagram/Facebook pages represents the School of Media and Mass Communication at BNU. Stay updated with our latest activities, projects, and events in the world of media and mass communication. Join us in exploring the diverse facets of this field. Your connection with us begins by following this page. Scan the codes: