In recent years, Rashid Rana has emerged as the leading artist from Pakistan on the international art scene.
Being recognized by renowned institutions, he has achieved esteemed artistic accomplishments, and now in year 2011 he continues to be an honor for Pakistan. Below are a few highlights from this year followed by their details:
- Solo exhibitions at public museums/institutions
Pao Galleries, Hong Kong presented by Gandhara Art
- He is the only Pakistani to be represented in multiple international Art Fairs such as Freize Art, Art HK, Art Basel and his works were exhibited at a solo booth at Art Dubai, 2011
- Rashid Rana is represented Lisson Gallery, a leading European art gallery
Summary for 2011
- Represented by Lisson Gallery along with being presented by them in four art fairs
- Two major public solo exhibitions in Manchester and Hong Kong
- Solo booth at Art Dubai
- Participated for a panel discussion at Sotheby’s, New York
Detail with links:
Rashid Rana is now represented by Lisson Gallery, London one of the most prominent contemporary art galleries in the western art arena
A major public solo exhibition of Rashid Rana’s selected works (1992-2011) titled Everything Is Happening at Once, is being held at Cornerhouse Gallery, Manchester, part of Asia Triennial Manchester 2011. Exhibition dates: 1 October, 2011 – 18 December, 2011
Rashid Rana is representing Pakistan in the exhibition Home Spun by Devi Art Foundation, curated by Girish Shahane. The dates are 27 August 2011 – 27 December 2011 http://deviartfoundation.org/page.asp?PageID=45
Events of 2011
Rashid Rana was represented by Chemould Prescott Road, Mumbai at Art Basel Miami Beach from 1 December - 4 December 2011
Lisson presented Rashid Rana in Modern Contemporary Abu Dhabi Art from 16 November – 19 November 2011
A public solo exhibition Translation/Transliteration of Rashid Rana’s selected works (2004-2011) was held at the PAO Galleries, Hong Kong Arts Centre, Hong Kong, presented by GandharaArt Gallery. The exhibition dates were 21 October, 2011 - 18 November 2011
In 2011 Lisson gallery showed his work at Art Hong Kong – 2011 as well as Art Basel 42 – 2011 from 26 May 2011 – 29 May 2011
Rashid Rana was invited by Sotheby’s, New York to be part of a panel discussion on ‘Contemporary South Asian Art’ on 22 March 2011
Rashid Rana was represented by Chemould and Chatterjee & Lal in a solo booth at Art Dubai, 15 March – 19 March 2011
Rashid Rana was part of the exhibition Collectors Stage: Asian Contemporary Art from Private Collection presented at the Singapore Art Museum, and two off-site venues, ARTSPACE @ Helutrans and Tanjong Pagar Distripark from 14 January 2011 – 17 February 2011
21st Century: Art In the First Decade 18 December 2010 to 26 April 2011 at the gallery of Modern Art, Queensland, Australia
For latest news, reviews and upcoming shows check out Rashid Rana’s studio page on Facebook
Recent Publications in newspapers, magazines, journals, websites
SELECTED BOOKS AND CATALOGUES
- extremuseum Guimet, Musee Guimet, France, 2011
- Monograph. Rashid Rana, Chatterjee & Lal and Chemould Prescott Road, Mumbai, India, 2010
- Chiu, Melissa & Genocchio, Benjamin. Contemporary Asian Art, Thames and Hudson, London, 2011
- Wallace, Miranda. 21st Century: Art in the First Decade, Queensland Art Gallery, Gallery of Modern Art, Queensland, 2010
- The Rising Tide- New Directions in Art from Pakistan 1990-2010, Mohatta Palace Publications, Karachi, Pakistan, 2010
- Finding India- Art for the New Century, MOCA Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan 2010
- Rana, Rashid. Resemble/Reassemble, Devi Art Foundation, Delhi, 2010
- Hashmi, Salima. Hanging Fire–Contemporary Art from Pakistan, Asia Society Museum, Yale University Press, London, 2009
- Asia Triennale Manchester, Shisha, 2009
- Mirza, Quddus, Starring the Artist, Indus Valley School of Architecture & Design, Karachi, Pakistan, 2009
- The Empire Strikes Back: Indian Art Today, Jonathan Cape London, Saatchi Gallery, London, 2009
- The Power of the Ornament, Belvedere Museum, Vienna, 2009
- Lines of Control, V.M. Gallery, Karachi; Third Line, Dubai; Green Cardamom, London, 2009
- Cross Roads, Elementa Gallery, Dubai, 2008
- Nagy, Peter and Collins, Veronica, The Audience and the Evesdropper-New Art from India and Pakistan, Phillips De Pury & company, London, 2008
- Dis-Location, Hong Kong Art Fair, 2008, Chemould Prescott Road + Chatterjee & Lal at Hong Art Fair, Hong Kong, 2008
- Art Dubai, Madinat Jumeirah, The Arabian Resort, Dubai UAE, pg198,18-22 March 2008
- Merali, Shaheen. Re-imagining Asia: A Thousand Years of Separation, Saqi Books, 2008
- Dalmia, Yashodhara & Hashmi, Salima. Memory, Metaphor, Mutations, Contemporary Art of India and Pakistan, Oxford University Press, 2007
- Tahir, Naaem; Nayyar, Adam & Akhtar, Aasim. Moving Ahead, Pakistan National Council of Arts, 2007
- Seear, Lynne & Rafeel, Suhanya. The 5th Asia-Pacific Triennial of Contemporary Art, Queensland Art Gallery, 2006
- Slater, Ben. 1st Singapore Biennale; Belief, Singapore, 2006
- Chiu, Melissa Indian Color Asian Contemporary Art Week, organized by ASIA Society, Gallery Korea, New York, 2006
- Dawood, Anita & Nasar, Hammad. Beyond the Page: Contemporary Art from Pakistan, Asia House, London & Manchester Art Gallery, 2006
- Parallel Realities: 3rd Fukuoka Triennale, Fukuoka Museum of Art, Fukuoka, 2006
- Bitmap: International Digital Photo Project, Loop, Incheon, 2005
- Curated by quddus mirza and Tanya Sohail One 2 One Catalogue, 2005
- Rashid Rana: Identical Views, Chatterjee & Lal, Mumbai; Nature Morte, New Delhi; Bose Pacia, New York 2005
- Hashmi, Salima. South Asian Masters; Old Masters and Young Voices, Alhamra Art Gallery, Lahore, 2004
- Ali, Atteqa. Playing with the Loaded Gun, Museum Fridericianum Kassel, 2004
SELECTED MAGAZINES AND JOURNALS
- ‘Vernissage Society’, (images), Canvas Daily, Issue 2, Abu Dhabi Art Edition, 16 November 2011
- Mirza, Quddus. ‘A New World Order’, Libas International, volume 24, 2011, issue 3
- ‘Rashid Rana’, The Economist, October 2011
- Chan, Cindy, ‘Rashid Rana: A Contemporary View of Pakistan’, AsisTatler, October 2011
- Li, Joey, ‘Rashid Rana’, Time Out Hong Kong, October 2011
- ‘The List’, The Art Economist, Volume /Issue 3/2011
- Pal, Deepanjana. ‘The Bigger Picture’, Vogue India, February 2011.
- Review. ‘Pakistani Art: Breath of Violence’, The Economist, December 2010
- Ali, Salwat, ‘Fresh Paint’, Newline, 24 December 2010
- Mirza, Quddus. ‘A glance at the Guimet, Visage Magazine, Volume 19
- ‘High Noon’, Granta, Autumn 2010
- Rajan, Manju Sara. ‘The Breakthrough’, Vogue India, October 2010
- Interview: The Express Tribune, September 2010
- Falvo, Rosa Maria. ‘Perpetual Paradox’, Libas, 2010
- Sethna, Razeshta. ‘Someday using a mouse will be considered traditional too’, Herald, December 2010
- Nasar, Hammad. ‘Die Fotografie in der zeitgenossischen Kunst Pakistans’, Du Augen des Subkontinents, Sept 2010
- Review: ‘Mirror Images–Spicing Up Musée Guimet’, The Economist, July–August 2010
- Mirza, Quddus. Gain at Guimet, Dep Art, July 2010
- Senes, Alexandra. ‘Avant-garde sous tension’, L’optimum, May 2010’
- Sadiq, Razia. ‘Digital Tessellations’, Sohbet, 2010
- Mirza, Quddus. ‘Shape of the Form’, Sohbet, 2010
- Lord, Chris,‘On the line’, Time Out Dubai, February 2009
- Kapur, Shruti. ‘The Micro World of the Macro Artist’, Platform, 2009
- Nasar, Hammad. ‘The Art of Extremes’, Orientations, January 2009
- Mirza, Quddus. ‘God is in the Details’, Art India, December 2008
- ‘In Conversation with Rashid Rana’, Nukta Art, 2008
- Mirza, Quddus. ‘Show Me the Money’, ART India, volume 8, issue 1, 2008
- ‘The Rise of the South’, Time Out Hong Kong, 2008
- Dua, Aarti. ‘Art Across Borders’, Graphiti, 2008
- Pal, Deepanjana. ‘Emphasizing Multiplicity’, Nukta Art, volume 3, 2008
- Khare Ghose, Archana. ‘Canvas of the young’, The Times of India, 27 November 2011
- Ali, Salwat. ‘Artmart: Negotiating time’, The Dawn, 6 November 2011
- Parekh, Maithili. ‘Pakistan’s controversial pieces of Contemporary Art’, India Today, 25 October 2011
- East, Ben. ‘For Rashid Rana’s art, clever is in the details’, The National, 18 October 2011
- Bonhams Charity, Jang News, October 2011
- Agnew, Mary. ‘In Conversation with Rashid Rana’, India Real Time, 21 October 2011
- Field, Emma. Art Review, Big Issue, 11 April 2011
- Iqbal, Nosheen. ‘Why would I leave Lahore, The Times, 9 April 2011
- Prashar, Isha. ‘Contemporary Art gets Asian Angle, The Eastern Eye London, 8 April 2011
- Walsh, Declan.’The bread of Death: Pakistan’s artists react to strife’, The Guardian UK, March 2011
- Press Release, ‘Rashid Rana’s photography on display at Lisson Gallery’, Asian Voice, 5 April 2011
- Parlez, Jane. ‘Pakistan’s Palette of Blood and Tears’, The New York times, 17 December 2010
- Lankarni, Nazanin. ‘Going His Own Way, a Pakistani Artist Arrives’, The New York Times, October 2010
- I for Identity’, The Friday Times, 31 December 2010.
- Harris, Gareth. ‘Rashid Rana at the Musée Guimet’, Telegraph, 12 July 2010
- Quddus Mirza. ‘Rana’s Relevance: Rashid Rana exhibits at Musée Guimet, Paris’, The News, July 2010
- Searle, Adrian. ‘The Empire Strikes Back: Indian Art Today’, The Guardian, 2 February 2010
- Jahagirdar, Archana, ‘Outside The Lines’, Business Standard New Dehli, 16 January 2010
- Bhagahat, Himanshu, ‘A welcome infiltration’, Live Mint, 16 January 2010
- Haroon, Layla, ‘Form and Colour of divided destinies’, The Gulf News, 23 January 2009
- Ali, Salwat. ‘Artist’s Works: Exploratory Exercises’, Dawn Images, February 2009
- Money-Coutts, Sophia. ‘Aligning the Debate’, The National, January 2009
- Waqar, Maria. ‘Stories of Us and Them’, Khaleej Times, January 2009
- Rajan, Manju Sara. ‘Second Homecoming’, Mint, November 2007
- Dang, Gitanjali. ‘Deception Can Be Fun’, The Hindustan Times, 2007
- Maddox, Georgina. ‘The Politics of Art’, Express India, 2007
- Ashar, Hemal. ‘Pakistani Art Travels Beyond Borders’, Mid Day, 2007
- Ansari, Rehan. ‘The Anxious Rashid Rana’, DNA, November 2007
- Ansari, Rehan. ‘A World With a Different View’, DNA, November 2007
- Sarma, Ramya, ‘A world with a different View’, DNA, November 2007
SELECTED AUCTION AND ART FAIR CATALOGUES
- Bonhams, Charity Auction of Pakistani Art. 3rd October 2011.
- Christie’s South Asian Modern + Contemporary Art, New York, 23rd March 2011.
- Christie’s South Asian Modern + Contemporary Art, New York, 15th September 2010.
- Art Asia Archive Annual Fundraiser, Hong Kong, November 2010.
- Christie’s South Asian Modern + Contemporary Art, New York, 10th June 2009.
- Sotheby’s Modern and Contemporary Art: South Asia, New York, 18th September 2008.
- Sotheby’s Contemporary Art Evening Auction, London, 17th October 2008.
- Art Hong Kong, Hong Kong 2009
- Sotheby’s Modern and Contemporary Art: South Asia, New York, 21st September 2008.
- Christie’s South Asian Modern + Contemporary Art, New York, 20th September 2007.
- Christie’s Asian Contemporary Art, Hong Kong, 27 May 2007.
- Christie’s Asian Contemporary Art, Hong Kong, 26th November 2006.
- Christie’s Asian Contemporary Art, Hong Kong, 28th May 2006.
- Sovereign Art Foundation, Hong Kong, 2006.