M.Sc. in School and Educational Psychology
Duration: 2 years, 4 semesters
Career Paths: Psychological research units and organizations, hospitals, private clinics, educational institutions, armed forces (educational and medical core) , counseling and guidance centers, selection boards, research organizations, civil services, business enterprises, advertising and marketing agencies, industries, social welfare agencies, reformatories, NGOs and institutions for individuals with special needs.
The role of educational system in our society is becoming increasingly important and complex, so is the need for professionally trained School Psychologists at the primary and secondary schools, colleges and institutions of higher education has become more essential than ever. School psychologist helps students as well as teachers, administrators and parents to overcome obstacles of learning and personal development. These obstacles include learning disabilities, academic difficulties, family disruptions, emotional and mental health problem. The Master of Science program in School Psychology is a clinical specialty which prepares students to enter the profession of School Psychology.
The program is designed to address the academic, research and professional practice requirements for certification as a psychologist where Masters’ level preparation is permitted. The two year program balances research, theory and practice. It follows a holistic approach and addresses students’ trends and needs within the context of home, school and community. In Pakistan there is a great need of qualified School Psychologists who can facilitate the students to overcome their problems so that they can realize their full potential.
- Emphasis on practical learning in real-world settings.
- Excellent theoretical classroom training coupled with unrivaled out-of-classroom learning opportunities in a dynamic environment.
- Program prepares students to take effective roles in the community as mental health professionals.
- Students will learn the theoretical frameworks and scientific bases of School and Educational Psychology at master’s level.
- Students will develop the essential diagnostic, therapeutic, and consultative skills necessary to work with a variety of emotional and psychological conditions.
- Students will learn research methodologies and be able to critically evaluate research as it relates to School and Educational Psychology.
- Students will learn the ethical and professional guidelines of the profession.
- Students will understand and appreciate the impact of diversity and cultural issues in the field of School and Educational Psychology.
To be eligible for admission to the M.Sc. in School Psychology, a candidate must have good academic record with minimum 2nd division in B.A / B.Sc. in Psychology or Applied Psychology from a well established and respectable university. In addition to this, a written English test followed by an interview will be taken in order to qualify for admission.
Year I Semester I
Year I Semester II
Year II Semester III
Year II Semester IV
* Admission subject to the number of students.
**According to HEC, 3 Credits mean three credit hours of theory, while 4(3-1) means a total of four credit hours, of which three are of theory while one credit hour is for laboratory or practical work.
Subjects offered as electives to students by the Institute of Psychology are the following.
* Optional courses will be offered according to the availability of the teacher.
Completion of credit hours and research project